Rain gutters are critical for protecting your home from rainwater and water damage. Yet, they must stay clean to move water efficiently and effectively. Homeowners should regularly remove dirt, silt, leaves, and other organic matter from their gutters. This way, they can prevent blockages, pooling, overflows, and leaks.
Many homeowners dread cleaning rain gutters, which can be challenging and time-consuming. If you are wondering how to clean rain gutters easily and quickly, you’ve come to the right place. Read more below!
What Is the Best Thing to Clean Gutters With?
Rain gutter specialists recommend cleaning gutters with a gutter scoop, gloves, and water straight from your garden hose. You can also use white vinegar if you encounter hard-to-clean areas or stains. Following this method, you should rinse the area well to prevent sun bleaching.
What Do I Need to Clean Rain Gutters Myself?
If you are wondering how to clean rain gutters yourself, all you need are the following:
- Protective gloves
- Slip-resistant shoes
- Gutter scoop or any small, flexible scoop
- Garden hose
- White vinegar
- Soft-bristled scrub brush or cloth
- Extended reach gutter cleaning wand (for 2-3 story, unreachable rain gutters)
- Sturdy ladder
- Ladder stabilizer
Do not use:
- Harsh cleaning chemicals
- Rough scrub brushes
- Pressure washer
How to Clean Rain Gutters Easily
Now that you have all your supplies, follow these simple steps to clean your rain gutters:
- Lay a Tarp: The contents of your rain gutters must go somewhere! Save time by setting up a tarp below your workstation to toss any debris to the ground.
- Set Up Your Ladder: Ensure you can clean your rain gutters safely by taking the appropriate precautions. You should set up your ladder on a sturdy surface, have a ladder stabilizer to improve safety, and have a friend present to secure the ladder.
- Put on Gloves: Wear gloves to prevent contact with hazardous substances, such as mold, insects, or animal droppings. It can also reduce the risk of scrapes or cuts.
- Remove Leaves and Sludge from the Gutters: Start by removing any large debris, like leaves or branches. Then, use your scooper to extract sludge.
- Rinse: Use your garden hose to rinse out the rain gutters.
- Tackle Organic Growth: If you encounter algae, mold, or other organic growth, remove it easily with a powerful vinegar solution. Combine warm water and vinegar and pour the mixture into your rain gutters. Make sure to close off any down spurts beforehand. Leave for one hour, scrub with a soft-bristled brush, uncap the downspouts, and rinse with water.
- Check for Easy Repairs: Maintenance should also involve checking for loose hardware, adjusting hangers, and making quick repairs.
How To Clean High Rain Gutters
High rain gutters present more of a cleaning challenge, as you may not be able to use a ladder safely. In these cases, you can operate an extended reach gutter cleaning wand that attaches to your garden hose. Extending up 2-3 stories, they use water pressure to clean these hard-to-reach rain gutters.
When Should I Clean My Rain Gutters in California?
Experts recommend cleaning rain gutters at least twice yearly, in the spring and late fall. This golden rule remains true in Southern California, as our winters and springs bring heavy rainfall. It is ideal for cleaning the rain gutters in preparation for this season and when the season ends.
How Can I Make Gutter Cleaning Easier?
While many homeowners ask how to clean rain gutters easily, many want to know how they can make gutter cleaning even more effortless. Rain gutter leaf protection guard, especially the LeafBlaster Pro, is one of the best solutions. It can eliminate the necessity for regular gutter cleaning. The micro-mesh material allows rainwater to enter your gutters, while keeping pine needles, branches and sticks, insects, small animals, and other debris out of your system. As a result, homeowners need to perform less clean-up and maintenance.
Try the LeafBlaster Pro by L.I. Metal Systems
Are you tired of cleaning out the inside of your gutters? We understand why you may dread this tedious and demanding chore. At L.I. Metal Systems, we offer rain gutter leaf protection, LeafBlaster Pro, for exceptional gutter protection. We also provide a 40-year warranty to cover any defective parts. You can also check out Service Areas for more info. Contact us today for a free estimate!