The Care And Cleaning Of Premium Aluminum Soffit
Like any other exterior soffit surface, Premium Aluminum Soffit will have dirt exposure from atmospheric conditions. Ordinarily, the cleaning action of rainfall will be adequate to wash the soffit. However, soffit should be washed periodically by rinsing with a garden hose and clear water, particularly in those areas not exposed directly to rain. If you desire to do a more thorough cleaning, or where high soil collection conditions occur, follow these simple instructions.
- Use a soft-bristled, long-handled washing brush. It attaches to your garden hose and makes washing your soffit easier. Do not rub vigorously, as this may create glossy areas over the soffit finish.
- For hard-to-remove dirt, such as soot and grime found in industrial areas, wipe the soffit down with a solution consisting of the following ingredients:
- 1/3 cup powdered detergent (Tide, ® Fab ® or equivalent powder detergent)
- 2/3 cup household cleaner (SoilMax, ® Spic & Span® or equivalent)
- 1 gallon water
- If mildew is a problem in your area, prepare the solution above but add 1 quart of laundry bleach for 1 quart of water.
- If you wash down the entire house, start at the bottom and work up to the top, as less streaking will result.
- It is important that immediately following all washing operations, the entire surface be thoroughly rinsed with fresh water from a garden hose. Avoid prolonged or high pressure rinsing of open, ventilated areas.
- For best results when using a cleaning solution, select an overcast cool day (55-75 degrees) and wash only small areas at a time. This should allow the wet cleaning solution to remain in contact with the finish for a period of not less than 3 minutes; then rinse with clear water before it has a chance to dry.